I did a google search on “Monsanto Papers”. I have never seen so many articles come up that are in French. Comparatively few in English.
Nothing from Canadian English sources, at least not in the first few pages of search results. NY Times article, March 14th comes up on page 1 of listings.
Very troubling that there’s nothing on the “Monsanto Papers” in English language Canadian mainstream media. Or if there is, that it’s so far down I didn’t encounter it.
This is a serious public issue. Unless you don’t mind the cancers that surround us.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
re Monsanto, with thanks to U.S. Right to Know.
June 2: 59 lawsuits against Monsanto Co. are pending in U.S. District Court in San Francisco . .
June 1: Documents obtained by USRTK offer a rare look into the secrets of food and chemical corporations
Since 2015, U.S. Right to Know, a nonprofit consumer and public health watchdog group, has obtained thousands of pages of documents revealing – for the first time – hidden industry payments and secret collaborations that undermine our nation’s scientific, academic, political and regulatory institutions.
The USRTK investigations have unearthed important documents about Monsanto and the agrichemical industry and Coca-Cola and the beverage industry — along with the PR operatives, front groups and third-party allies that assist these industries. Together, these documents demonstrate the strategies and tactics these organizations employ to maximize industry profits at the expense of public health.
Here are some of key findings and articles from the USRTK investigations so far.
Undisclosed collaborations between academics and the agrichemical industry:
New York Times: Food Industry Enlisted Academics in G.M.O. Lobbying War, Emails Show, by Eric Lipton (9.5.2015) and see email archive
- New York Times: Scientists, Give Up Your Emails, by Paul Thacker (1.9.2016)
- Boston Globe: Harvard Professor Failed to Disclose Monsanto Connection in Paper Touting GMOs, by Laura Krantz (10.1.2015)
- CBC: University of Saskatchewan Prof Under Fire for Monsanto Ties, by Jason Warick (5.7.2017)
- CBC: U of S Defends Prof’s Monsanto Ties, But Some Faculty Disagree, by Jason Warick (5.10.2017)
- Sacramento Bee: Watchdog Group Sues to Force UC Davis to Turn Over Public Records,” by Diana Lambert (8.19.2016)
- Bloomberg: How Monsanto Mobilized Academics to Pen Articles Supporting GMOs, by Jack Kaskey (10.2.2015)
- Mother Jones: These Emails Show Monsanto Leaning on Professors to Fight the GMO PR War, by Tom Philpott (10.2.2015)
- WBEZ: Why Didn’t an Illinois Professor Have to Disclose GMO Funding, by Monica Eng (3.15.2016)
- Nature Biotechnology: Standing Up for Transparency, by Stacy Malkan (1.8.2016)
- Mic: Leaked email reveals dietician’s murky relationship with Monsanto, by Alex Orlov (3.22.2017)
- Global News: Documents Reveal Canadian Teenager Target of GMO Lobby, by Allison Vuchnich (12.21.2015)
- Los Angeles Times: In Science, Follow the Money – If You Can, by Paul Thacker and Curt Furberg (5.12.2016)
- Saskatoon Star Phoenix: Group Questions U of S Prof’s Monsanto Link, by Jason Warick (10.3.2015)
- Huffington Post: Monsanto’s Fingerprint All Over ‘Academics Review’ Attack on Organic, by Stacy Malkan (6.30.2016)
- Ralph Nader: Monsanto and its Promoters vs. Freedom of Information (10.2.2016)
Corporate influence on journalists, science and regulatory institutions:
- BMJ: Coca-Cola’s secret influence on medical and science journalists, by Paul Thacker (5.2017) and author’s note
- BMJ: Conflicts of interest compromise US public health agency’s mission, say scientists,” by Jeanne Lenzer (10.2016)
- The Guardian: UN/WHO Panel in Conflict of Interest Row over Glyphosate Cancer Risk,” by Arthur Neslen (5.17.2016)
- Le Monde: «Monsanto papers»: la guerre du géant des pesticides contre la science, by Stéphane Foucart and Stéphane Horel (6.1.2017)
- Le Monde: «Monsanto Papers»: la bataille de l’information by Stéphane Foucart and Stéphane Horel (6.2.2017)
- The Guardian: Before you read another health study, check who’s funding the research, by Alison Moodie (12.12.2016)
- STAT: Disney, Fearing a Scandal, Tries to Press Journal to Withdraw Research Paper, by Sheila Kaplan (4.8.2016)
- The Intercept: Jeb Bush Campaign Manager Helped Big Pharma Beat Back Anti-Meth Lab Legislation, by Lee Fang (9.22.2015)
- San Diego Union Tribune: UCSD hires Coke-funded health researcher, by Morgan Cook (9.29.2016)
- Le Monde: La discrète influence de Monsanto, by Stéphane Foucart (11.7.2016)
- The Hill: What is Going On at the CDC? Health Agency Needs Scrutiny, by Carey Gillam (8.27.2016)
- Huffington Post: More Coca-Cola Ties Seen Inside US Centers for Disease Control,” by Carey Gillam (8.1.2016)
- Huffington Post: CDC Official Exits After Coca-Cola Connections Come to Light,” by Carey Gillam (7.1.2016)
- Huffington Post: Beverage Industry Finds Friend Inside U.S. Health Agency, by Carey Gillam (6.29.2016)
- Die Zeit: Glyphosat: Möglicher Interessenskonflikt bei Pflanzenschutzmittel-Bewertung, by Michael Stürzenhofecker (5.18.2016)
- ARD: Experten werfen Fachgremium Wirtschaftsnähe vor (pdf) (5.31.2016)
- FAIR: Media take diet advice from Coke-funded academics, by Stacy Malkan (12.17.2015)
- FAIR: Buckraking on the Food Beat: When is it a Conflict of Interest? by Stacy Malkan (10.28.2015)
Breaking news about chemicals in our food:
- TIME: FDA to Start Testing for Chemicals in Food, by Carey Gillam (2.17.2016)
- Huffington Post: USDA Drops Plan to Test for Monsanto Weed Killer in Food, by Carey Gillam (3.27.2017)
- Huffington Post: FDA Suspends Testing for Glyphosate Residues in Food, by Carey Gillam (11.11.2016)
- Huffington Post: More Bad News for Honey as U.S. Seeks to Get Handle on Glyphosate Residues in Food, by Carey Gillam (11.3.2016)
- Huffington Post: FDA Tests Confirm Oatmeal, Baby Food Contain Monsanto Weedkiller, by Carey Gillam (9.30.2016)
- Huffington Post: USRTK Investigation Reveals FDA Found Glyphosate in Honey, by Carey Gillam (9.15.2016)
- For more exclusive reporting by Carey Gillam, see our glyphosate investigation.
This fall, Island Press will publish Carey Gillam’s book on glyphosate, titled Whitewash: The Story of a Weed Killer, Cancer and the Corruption of Science.
USRTK is also posting the “Monsanto Papers” on our website, including court documents, news and analysis of the litigation against Monsanto by people alleging that exposure to Roundup herbicide caused them or their loved ones to develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Third-party messengers and front groups the food and chemical industries rely on for propaganda and lobbying:
- Jon Entine, Genetic Literacy Project
- The American Council on Science and Health
- Henry I. Miller of the Hoover Institute
- Bruce Chassy, Academics Review
- Ketchum: The Agrichemical Industry’s PR Firm
- GMO Answers is a PR Website for GMO Companies
- Bruce Chassy and Academics Review
- The Gates-funded Cornell Alliance for Science GMO PR Campaign
- International Life Sciences Institute
- Center for Consumer Freedom
- Calorie Control Council
- Trevor Butterworth, Sense About Science USA
- Julie Kelly Cooks up Propaganda for the Agrichemical Industry
= = = = = = = = = = =
The Monsanto Papers: MDL Glyphosate Cancer Case
Key Documents & Analysis
An interesting list of documents.
I took time to look at this one: Letter on glyphosate from Members of the European Parliament to European Commission President Jean-Claude Junker (3.24.17)