NOTE: Thousands are expected in Vancouver on Saturday, March 10th, in protest over the Kindermorgan proposed new pipeline. I will be there. Please help circulate the details:
Protect the Inlet: https://protecttheinlet.ca/
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
To: Sandra Finley
Subject: I tried to search the Prime Minister’s Office.
Yesterday, I joined a team of Ottawa area residents to form a ‘Pipeline Evidence Unit’. Our goal was to search the Prime Minister’s Office and government buildings on Parliament Hill for any shred of evidence proving that Kinder Morgan is — as Trudeau claims climate safe, spill-proof and compatible with Canada’s commitments to Indigenous rights.
First, we took our search straight to the Office of the Prime Minister, where we set up a search area and attempted to enter the building. Unsurprisingly, the first stop on our search didn’t offer any discoveries, and security refused our entry. So we made our way to Parliament Hill, and were promptly turned away by security again. After two hours of scouring the area for evidence, we came away empty handed.
So, here’s what we do know to be true:
- The Kinder Morgan pipeline would lead to a 700% increase in tanker traffic off the BC coast which could wipe out the entire population of endangered Orca whales.
- Kinder Morgan already has a dirty track record. If this pipeline is built we should expect spills on average to become a yearly occurrence.
- Kinder Morgan would lock us into decades of tar sands extraction, when climate scientists have clearly told us to keep well over 80% of known fossil fuels in the ground
- The pipeline does not square with commitment to Indigenous rights with several Indigenous communities fighting the government’s approval of Kinder Morgan in court.
Prime Minister Trudeau has run out of time to show us the science. All the evidence we’ve seen proves Kinder Morgan goes against Canada’s climate commitments, endangers BC’s coast, and is incompatible with Canada’s commitments to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
So now, it’s time for action. On March 10th, thousands of people in BC will be out on the land standing with Coast Salish spiritual leaders and youth for — ‘Kwekwecnewtxw — Protect the Inlet’ a historic stand to stop Kinder Morgan. If there is any way you can be in the Metro Vancouver area this Saturday, I urge you to join Indigenous leaders on March 10th for what will likely be the largest mobilization we’ve seen against Kinder Morgan yet.
If like me, you are unable to attend, be sure to share the Protect the Inlet website with your friends and family on the West Coast. Let’s make sure as many people as possible hear about Kwekwecnewtxw.
Onwards to the ongoing fight to stop Kinder Morgan,
350.org is building a global climate movement. You can connect with us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and become a sustaining donor to keep this movement strong and growing.