CHRONOLOGY OF INTERNATIONAL EFFORTS TO GET BUSH ARRESTED
The following list highlights SOME of the efforts that are on-going through many organizations in the world.
UPDATES: see “Categories” in the right-hand sidebar, under “Peace or Violence“, click on “George Bush War Criminal”
– 2002: we vigorously joined with millions of people around the world calling on George Bush not to drop bombs on Iraq. Information on the laws and the evidence was circulated.
– March 2003: the U.S. started the illegal war-of-aggression on Iraq, based on lies and propaganda. Then-Prime Minister Jean Chretien kept Canada out of the war.
– October 2007: http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/the-guantanamo-files/
“The Guantánamo Files” by Andy Worthington (UK) is published. It is “a must-read for anyone who wants to understand how Guantánamo came to be the torture chamber of the United States. This comprehensive and well-researched exposé reveals the stories of the many tragic men and boys who were picked up after 9/11 by, or at the direction of, the US government, and also clearly demonstrates the frightening and unchecked power of the Bush administration and the failures that have followed on from its miserable, inept and criminal policies. Perhaps most disturbing, from a personal point of view, is the author’s unraveling of the US government’s manipulation of classified information, not to protect national security, but in a vain attempt to hide the truth about Guantánamo. The fact that the prison’s real story has been ignored by our corporate media, by politicians on both sides of the aisle and, most distressingly, by the judiciary, makes this book an important historical contribution to this dark period. If the US happens to survive this episode of cruelty and lawlessness, The Guantánamo Files will be an important tool for coming to grips with how we as a nation allowed indefinite detention without charge, extraordinary rendition and torture to become national policies.”
Candace Gorman, lawyer for two Guantánamo prisoners
– 2008-03-05 Brattleboro, Vermont passes indictment of Bush and Cheney
– 2008, May: Vince Bugliosi’s book is published, The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder. Excerpt published by Huffington Post
– 2008-07-28 House Judiciary Committee hearings on George Bush impeachment, Vince Bugliosi testimony. A wowser.
– 2008: Charlotte Dennett runs for Attorney General of Vermont on the platform that she will prosecute Bush for murder.
– 2008: In Canada, Gail Davidson (Lawyers Against the War (L.A.W. – Vancouver) has assembled the laws and the evidence to show that Bush needs to be arrested and tried for his crimes.
– March 2009: The International Criminal Court (ICC) issues a warrant for the arrest of Al Bashir of Sudan for his crimes against humanity (Darfur).
– 2009-03-08 Letter to International Criminal Court (ICC) with L.A.W.’s documentation regarding Bush. Request that they issue a warrant for arrest of Bush. Equal treatment with ICC Prosecution of Sudanese President Al-Bashir.
– March 2009: Bush coming to Calgary. We joined in petitioning (phone calls, etc.) of the Law Firm Bennett Jones and the Calgary Chamber of Commerce, sponsors of the Bush visit.
– 2009-03-09 ROLE OF THE RCMP & SECURITY FORCES George Bush. Letter to the War Crimes Unit of RCMP.
– 2009-03-10 UPDATE: WHO INVITED BUSH TO CALGARY?
– 2009-03-12 Integrity of the judicial system. Letter to Supreme Court. Prosecution of people responsible for crimes, regardless of perceived status.
– 2009-03-14 George Bush visit to Calgary. Avert potential violence. Letter to authorities.
– March 17, 2009. Calgary protest over Bush’s visit. Splitting the Sky is arrested over attempted citizen’s arrest of Bush. Four others arrested. Their charges thrown out of Court. Splitting the Sky (John Boncore)’s case proceeds to trial.
– Sept 08, 2009 “Spanish judge resumes torture case against six senior Bush lawyers” http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/09/08/spanish-judge-resumes-torture-case-against-six-senior-bush-lawyers/ The judge, Garzon, is Spain’s best-known investigating magistrate. He issued the precedent-setting arrest warrant for former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet in 1998 when Britain wouldn’t. (I posted this article on my blog for back-up purposes: 2009-09-08 Spanish judge resumes torture case against six senior Bush lawyers )
– Sept 12, 2009. The email “ We are in big trouble if the laws do not apply to those who govern.” Includes “significance of the rule of law”. See 2009-10-08.
– 2009-09-30 Bush visit to Canada: We are rockin’ sockin’!
– October 2009: Bush coming to Edmonton, Saskatoon and Montreal. In Saskatoon a month in advance of Bush’s visit we delivered letters to the Chief of Police, to the head of the RCMP Saskatoon detachment, and to the Commanding Officer for Division F (Saskatchewan). Also to Border Services. The letters contained the information from Lawyers Against the War (Gail Davidson). We submitted the law and the evidence which says that Bush contravened the law and a request that they carry out their duty under the law to arrest Bush when he is here. See 2009-10-08 Replies were received from the Police; they said they would not arrest Bush.
– October 2009: L.A.W. sent a letter to the Attorney General of Canada, Robert Nicholson. From Saskatoon we distributed a few thousand post cards addressed to him. The front of the postcard reads: “If the most powerful among us are not accountable to the law, our justice system fails. .. The Government of Canada has a legal duty to bar George W. Bush from Canada – – as a suspected war criminal – – or to prosecute him for torture once he enters Canada. The law allows no other options.”
The postcard has a picture of George Bush with the scales of justice and the olive branch in the background. The back of the card reads, “Dear Attorney General Nicholson … “ (scroll down to APPENDED (2) for remainder of text)
– Oct 2, 2009: TV series, “Law and Order” makes the case for the prosecution of Bush Administration torturers.
– 2009-10-04 Letter to Brett Wilson’s legal counsel. (Brett is an organizer of the Bush event, known from CBC TV’s Dragons Den.)
– 2009-10-08 Request to RCMP to arrest George Bush when he is in Canada. COMPREHENSIVE argument.
CONTENTS OF THE LETTER TO THE RCMP:
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE RULE OF LAW: GEORGE BUSH’S VISIT IS AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS MATTER
- LETTER TO THE CHIEF OF POLICE
- INTERNATIONAL AND CANADIAN LAWS, AS THEY APPLY TO BUSH
- G.W. BUSH SHOULD BE BARRED ENTRY UNDER INADMISSIBILITY PROVISIONS OF THE IMMIGRATION AND REFUGEE PROTECTION ACT (IRPA)
- CANADIAN LAW OBLIGES THE POLICE IN SASKATCHEWAN TO ARREST BUSH
- DUTY TO BAR ENTRY TO CANADA
- DUTY TO INVESTIGATE ALLEGATIONS OF TORTURE
- DUTY TO PROSECUTE
- VINCE BUGLIOSI’S BOOK, “THE PROSECUTION OF GEORGE W. BUSH FOR MURDER” AND TESTIMONY AT THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE HEARINGS (YOUTUBE)
- MESSAGE FROM RAMSAY CLARK, FORMER UNITED STATES ATTORNEY GENERAL
- SPANISH JUDGE RESUMES TORTURE CASE AGAINST SIX SENIOR BUSH LAWYERS, 8.9.09
- UPDATE ON THE SPANISH PROSECUTION, OCTOBER 7. LEGAL COMPLAINT FILED AGAINST BUSH, BLAIR AND OTHERS
- BOOK, THE GUANTANAMO FILES, THE STORIES OF THE 774 DETAINEES IN AMERICAN’S ILLEGAL PRISON
- TORTURED LAW, VIDEO FOOTAGE
- “LAW & ORDER” MAKES CASE FOR PROSECUTION OF BUSH ADMINISTRATION TORTURERS, OCTOBER 2, 2009
– 2009-10-13 Bush: important simple legal principle, “Complementarity” (International Law).
– 2009-10-13 Addendum sent to Attorney General: you DO have responsibility to arrest Bush, the Law of Complementarity.
– October 20, 21, 22, 2009. Protest rallies in Edmonton, Saskatoon and Montreal. The police do not arrest Bush.
– November 4, 2009. 23 CIA agents convicted in kidnapping, torture trial in Italy. “They acted under orders from Bush and Cheney. …” http://www.impeachbush.org/site/News2/564167183?page=NewsArticle&id=5400&news_iv_ctrl=1281 (link no longer valid)
NOTE: http://www.impeachbush.org (link no longer valid) is a very important resource. See appended “Recent Updates“.
– Early 2010: Charlotte Dennett publishes “The People v. Bush: One Lawyer’s Campaign to Bring the President to Justice and the Nationwide Grassroots Movement She’s Encountered Along the Way”
– January 19, 2010: Law Professor Francis Boyle from the University of Illinois filed a request with the International Criminal Court (ICC – “the Hague”) for the arrest of Bush and his companions. (link no longer valid)
– 2010-01-19 Request to International Criminal Court for arrest of George Bush and his companions by Law Professor Francis Boyle, University of Illinois.
– 2010-02-03 Bush to The Hague for war-crimes
– 2010-03-05 Court Allows Torture Suit Against Former Defense Sec’t Donald Rumsfeld
– 2010-03-08 Calgary, Trial of Splitting-the-Sky for attempted citizen’s arrest of George Bush in March 2009. http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/03/08/13159991.html http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=18005
– 2010: We continue the conversation regarding the prosecution of Canadian officials who had an obligation under the law to arrest Bush when he was here. Timing and developments, action.
– 2010-03-15 Can you have Democracy without Law Enforcement? Updates, arrest of George Bush for war crimes – Francis Boyle, Splitting the Sky.
– April 3, 2010: Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark chosen to head international investigation of Bush Administration war crimes.
. . . at a meeting of over 150 lawyers, legal scholars and human rights campaigners, Ramsey Clark, founder of Indict Bush Now, was chosen to be the chairperson of an international campaign to investigate war crimes committed by officials from the Bush administration.
Representatives at the meeting held in Beirut, Lebanon, came from all over the world. The campaign will investigate the lies, deceit and manipulation leading up to the Iraq war; the conduct of the war itself against an essentially defenseless country; and the horrors of the continued occupation.
Lawyers and judges in several countries are exploring prosecution.
Ramsey Clark emphasized that it is the imperative responsibility of the American people to relentlessly pursue this investigation, and to seek prosecution and indictment inside of the United States.
– 2010-04-14 Yay! Ramsey Clark to Head Investigation into Bush Crimes. & Alarm, Spanish Judge Garzon to stand trial.
– 2010-05-24 UPDATE: Efforts to get George Bush tried for war crimes. Ramsey Clark in Calgary in defence of Splitting-the-Sky. Charlotte Dennett’s campaign, Vermont
Clark: “George Bush hasn’t suffered at all over the monumental suffering, death, and horror he has caused…no matter how many American soldiers have died on a given day in Iraq (averaging well over two every day), he is always seen with a big smile on his face that same or next day”
– June 7, 2010: Judge Delong’s decision on Splitting the Sky. He is found guilty of obstructing a police officer in the performance of their duties. Sentence is a year’s probation and a conditional discharge. The conviction won’t stand on his record if he meets the terms of probation. He was fined $1000, payable to a registered charity of his choice. In an interview with Raymond Geisler on June 16th, Splitting the Sky says that he would have received a heavier sentence if not for Ramsey Clark, former Attorney General of the U.S.. Clark spoke at trial in defence of S-t-S. He convinced the Judge that a jail term would not serve the community interest. http://www.archive.org/details/UnboughtAndUnbossed178June162010
– 2011-02-05 Bush Cancels February 12th Geneva trip amidst charges of torture and calls for his arrest
– FURTHER UPDATES ON THE WORK TO GET BUSH ARRESTED: go to “Categories” in the right-hand sidebar, to “Peace or Violence“, click on “George Bush War Criminal”
Examples of updates:
- Sept 2012 – Desmond Tutu calls for Bush and Blair to be tried by the International Criminal Court
- May 2012 – A solid case for the prosecution of Bush, Blair, Rumsfeld, Cheney, their legal counsel and others, for war crimes, crimes against the peace, torture, and crimes against humanity has been established at the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal with a guilty verdict on day 5 of the third major session of the Tribunal. The Tribunal recommends to the War Crimes Commission to give the widest international publicity to this conviction and grant of reparations, as these are universal crimes for which there is a responsibility upon nations to institute prosecutions if any of these Accused persons may enter their jurisdictions. . . .
- April 2012 – youtube of a gathering in Iraq
- Included in the list of well-known persons, Julian Assange has played a significant role in raising awareness of the crimes committed
- Canadians are doing their part whenever the opportunity arises. In March 2012, Cheney canceled his Toronto visit. “Thugs” in Vancouver prevented him from leaving a book-signing event for 7 hours! Yee-ay! way to go. He won’t come back.
2016-07-06 Significant development in international efforts to bring GEo Bush & cronies before the ICC: UK Iraq War Report. Former PM Tony Blair disregarded warnings of risks as he built case for military action.
Bush and his companions will be brought to justice, as you can see from the long list of on-going efforts by people all over the world. It is just a matter
- of time
- of sharing the information so that most people are aware of all the efforts
- at some point, some person is going to be in a position to place the handcuffs. And they will know that they have tremendous support for their action.
– – – – – – — — – – – – – – – – – – – – – — – – – – – – – – –
This is not an exhaustive list of efforts to place Bush and his companions under the rule of law. Individuals and international organizations are working on it.
If you know persons in the police and security forces, please forward this to them. It is very difficult for them to stand tall (insist that the law applies equally to everyone) if they are ducking bullets from above, with no ammunition of their own.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = == = == = = == = == =
“Recent updates ” from IndictBushNow.org (the home page is still up)
April 2017: I tested one of the following. Copied the title, pasted it into a Search Engine. A number of copies of the article came up – – so, easy to find on-line. The Indict Bush blog was great – – but the links I was using are now all invalid.)
|Help young veterans take a stand against Bush’s criminal wars
Friday, December 10, 2010
|Mayor of London Warns Bush on Book Tour: Stay Away From U.K. or Face Possible Arrest
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
|Protests Meet W. on His Book Tour
Thursday, November 18, 2010
|IndictBushNow supporters greet Bush book tour
Thursday, November 11, 2010
|IndictBushNow Mobilizing to Expose Bush on His Book Tour
Thursday, November 4, 2010
|Tell Eric Holder: Wikileaks revelations call for prosecution of Bush crimes
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
|UN to Obama: US Obliged to Investigate Criminal Acts
Monday, October 25, 2010
|New York Times demands criminal investigation of Bush officials
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
|One former president goes to jail … Will Bush be next?
Friday, May 7, 2010
|Ramsey Clark chosen to head commission to investigate Bush crimes
Thursday, April 8, 2010
|Ramsey Clark tells crowd of 10,000: We must indict Bush and Cheney
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
|On March 20, We the People will take a stand
Thursday, March 18, 2010
|A historic step
Friday, March 12, 2010
|When is the killing of children not a crime?
Friday, March 5, 2010
|On March 20, IndictBushNow is taking to the streets of Washington!
Thursday, February 25, 2010
|The principles of the U.S. Constitution are not “attack advertisement”
Thursday, February 11, 2010
|Support swells for Indict Bush bus ad campaign in Washington, D.C.!
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
|Join the Expose & Expunge Campaign
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
|Huge response to Indict Bush Washington D.C. bus ad initiative!
Friday, December 18, 2009
|Indict Bush bus ads coming to Washington, D.C.
Friday, December 11, 2009
|Ninety-six organizations demand Congressional action against torture
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
|23 CIA agents convicted in kidnapping, torture trial in Italy
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
|New York Times says: Bush cover-up must end!
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
|It’s Time for Holder to Go After the Big Fish
Thursday, October 8, 2009
|Cheney Center at University of Wyoming sparks public outrage
Thursday, September 10, 2009
|‘A free people will not permit torture’
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
|Who will be prosecuted?
Friday, August 7, 2009
|Congressional Leaders call for prosecution
Friday, August 7, 2009
|The real reason Bush tore up the Geneva Conventions
Friday, June 19, 2009
|UN investigator says U.S. has “clear obligation” to prosecute
Thursday, June 11, 2009
|Cheney continues to write his own indictment
Thursday, June 4, 2009
|Torture Photos Show Rapes of Detainees, Former Officer Confirms
Friday, May 29, 2009
|IndictBushNow Freedom of Information Act Request: Did Bush and Cheney order torture to justify Iraq war?
Friday, May 22, 2009
|Bush’s ‘Smoking Gun’ Witness Found Dead
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
|They will not be able to hide from prosecution
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
|June 25: Major Action in DC to Demand Prosecution of Torturers
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
|Breaking News: Dick Cheney Implicated in Torture Crimes
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
|Tide has turned towards prosecution and investigation
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
|Take Action: Demand Justice for Torturers
Thursday, April 16, 2009
|Red Cross Calls for Prosecution of Bush Torturers
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
|Breaking news: Indictment of Bush Officials May Come in Days
Friday, April 10, 2009
|Spanish Court May Indict Bush Officials
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
|Message “Indict Bush Now” Rings Out from Coast to Coast
Thursday, March 26, 2009
|Statement from Ramsey Clark
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
|Put an IndictBushNow button on your website or blog
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
|Send Your Email to Congress: Indict Bush Now!
Friday, February 27, 2009
|‘Why indictment is a must.’
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
= = = = = = = = = = = = = == = == = = == = == =
APPENDED (2) – ARREST BUSH POSTCARD:
DESCRIPTION, FRONT-SIDE OF POSTCARD:
– the front has a picture of Geo Bush with the Scales of Justice in the background in the centre of an olive wreath
If the most powerful among us are not accountable to the law, our justice system fails.
The Government of Canada has a legal duty to bar George W. Bush from Canada – – as a suspected war criminal – – or to prosecute him for torture once he enters Canada. The law allows no other options.
DESCRIPTION, BACK-SIDE OF POSTCARD:
Dear Attorney General Nicholson,
George W. Bush arrives in Canada, October 20, 2009.
As you know, Canada is a signatory to international legal covenants such as the Geneva Conventions and the Rome Statute. As signatories we are legally bound to enforce these laws. Furthermore, Canada has enacted supporting legislation.
Under the Canadian Criminal Code, the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act, and the Geneva Conventions Act, torture and other war crimes and crimes against humanity committed anywhere in the world are crimes in Canada. Canada has a legal duty to prosecute such crimes. The duty to prosecute is triggered when the suspected perpetrators enter Canada.
While President of the United States, George W. Bush waged war on Iraq without credible justification, the most serious breach of International Law which prohibits wars of aggression. His government has held prisoners of war indefinitely without due process and has authorized the use of torture against many of these detainees, also in breach of international law.
To fail to apply the laws equally would be to breach your Oath of Office and to undermine the rule of law in Canada. The Attorney General does not act on directions from his colleagues or anyone else in discharging his duties in the enforcement of the law.
George W. Bush must be arrested and prosecuted.
THE POSTCARD IS ADDRESSED TO:
Honorable Robert Nicholson Attorney General of Canada
Member of Parliament
House of Commons
Canada K1A 0A6
– DOES NOT REQUIRE POSTAGE
Written in the box where a stamp would ordinarily go: “No Postage Necessary if Mailed from Within Canada.”
(Any regular-size correspondence addressed to a Member of Parliament at the House of Commons does not require postage.)
– All you have to do is sign and pop the postcard into a mailbox.