2011-05-16 Framework (four topics) for discussion on direction taken by the University
TOPIC: GOVERNANCE AND ADMINISTRATION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN
– Irregularities in hiring practices
– Gender issues
– Poisoned work environment
TOPIC: COMMUNITY AND STUDENT NEEDS VERSUS THE CORPORATE AGENDA
– independent credibility of research
– corporate influence over research into issues of environment, toxicology, pharmaceuticals, agricultural genomes, etc. at the U of S.
– Empowering Communities of people with diseases and disabilities (diseases and disabilities, consequence of poisoning, consequence of failure of the University).
– University for the Owners of the University (us): Toxicology, Agriculture, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacology, Environment
– Making the University experience richer and more rewarding for Students
– stressed out, depressed, on meds
– High drop-out rate
TOPIC: ARCHAIC MEASURES OF PROGRESS; FALSE CRITERIA
– economic/business models used to measure university success/productivity and to set rankings vis-à-vis other universities. Illegitimate.
– Manipulative questions on surveys
– Decimation of culture (Arts and Humanities)
– The role of the University in society – whose interests are being served? What about departments and programs that have been, or will be, downgraded or discontinued recently?
TOPIC: PURPOSE AND ROLE OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY AS SEEN BY THE OWNERS OF THE UNIVERSITY. WHO WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE FOR “NEXT PRESIDENT”?
Values (corporate versus humanitarian)
– Purpose (well-balanced individuals with critical thinking skills, democractic instincts)
– The quality of education at the University.
– The next president