2022-08-09 Use of the internet and Justice system for intimidation, harassment and extortion. Amanda Todd and others. Some HOPE (wins). (Free speech, Anti-Slapp, cyber-bullying)
A half-dozen related postings.
(Anti-SLAPP laws are designed to protect ordinary citizens from being silenced.)
1. 2202-08-09 Anti-SLAPP BIG WIN FOR PEOPLE . Court dismisses defamation suit against conservationists . . . a B.C. law designed to protect freedom of speech (https://sandrafinley.ca/blog/?p=27325)
2. 2017-07-28 How an Ontario mom fended off a $120K libel lawsuit over her Facebook posts, CBC
Dismissed under Anti-SLAPP laws.
“I was terrified,” “Where am I going to get this money from? . . .
Ontario Superior Court Justice Thomas Lederer ruled in Mohammed’s favour, citing the province’s “strategic lawsuits against public participation” rules (“anti-SLAPP” measures).
3. 2016-07-29 ‘What law am I breaking?’ How a Facebook troll came undone (Cyber-Bully)
4. 2015-09-30 Cyberbullying, an issue of free speech. Salman Rushdie, a guiding light.
2022-09-28 In support of Salman Rushdie, Freedom of Speech. PEN Canada, John Ralston Saul & Grace Westcott.
5. 2015-09-24 Urgent action needed to combat online (“cyber”) violence against women and girls, UN report
6. Anchor (https://sandrafinley.ca/blog/?p=11775)